Wednesday, February 21, 2007

1 Euro for a half hour...

So, I´m in Spain and currently sitting in the Cafe Zentral in Sahagun. It is the major city near Moratinos where Rebekah and Paddy live. Libby and I arrived this morning via train from Barcelona at about 8am Spanish time. It was a 10 hour train ride, but I did manage to get some sleep and have had a couple coffees. Woo.

Barcelona was so incredible. Libby and I flew in and arrived at 9am, found our way to the central train station and checked our bags in a locker area. We got a ticket for 10 bus rides so we could take the Metro around the city. We started by getting a Metro to Casa Milla, which was so much better in person. I really want to see it again in the evening when it´s all lit up. From there we traversed the streets of Barcelona and found Casa Ballto. Again - incredible.

Saw a few fountains, and also the Arc de Triompf which made me laugh a little. Libby says that when Barcelona was built they wanted it to be like a second Paris. It was neat, but an entirely different style from the Parisian monument.

We walked down side streets to Sagrada Famillia, which was so much bigger than I´d expected. I took pictures of it from every angle.

After that, looking for the Picasso Museum, we happened upon this district of small alley side-streets. All kinds of shops and cafes and the like. It was so peaceful and quaint. I could live there. The museum was very nice for 4 Euro, but Libby says the one in Paris is better. I didn´t get to see it last time I was there so I´ll have to check it out.

We had our lunch, which is the biggest meal of the day, at a cafe in the same district (I can´t recall it´s name right now but I´ll update again and put it in). The menu of the day consists of 2 courses, wine, bread, and dessert. It´s like a choose your own adventure. I had a Russian Salad - an interesting take on tuna salad - and cured ham and sliced potatos. Libby wasn´t so fortunate and had baked artichokes which didn´t taste very good, and what we at first thought was calamari, but ended up being tripe... we both had the realization at the same time after we had each tried some. Yuck!

To end the day we visited the Parke Guelle, a neighborhood that Gaudi had built for Barcelona´s elite, but which didn´t end up working out to that regard. A very long walk up a huge hill - not unlike the ones in San Francisco I´d imagine. Though there were periodic escalators built into the roadways. From the top the view of the city was breathtaking.

I have just over a minute of Internet time left - so I´m going to cut this entry off here and write some more on my laptop at home tonight.

Adios!

2 comments:

studiophi said...

Hey Hun! I'm glad you made it there alive, and are having fun. *mwah*

hannah.rose said...

i'm glad you're there safe.