Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Chip, Chip, Chip, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

My good friend Libby says I look like a happy chipmunk in my new picture, and that my "public" demands "full body" shots to show the weight I've lost since I arrived in Spain. I may have to consider that.

Anyhow, yesterday was a rather "lackadaisical" day as Paddy put it, and all of us mostly shifted around the house between states of reading, Interneting, sleeping, and drinking tea.

I'm experiencing some kind of allergy attack, which is typical for me around this time of year, but I hope that it's not some silly cold coming on too. Congestion, headaches, the lot. I've bounced between Benadryl and Sudafed for the time being, and the Sudafed seems to be the best bet. Decongestion without the groggy drunken feeling.

Paddy also got a blog started for himself: http://www.elcaminounreal.blogspot.com

I'm starting a viral infection.

Last night we went into San Nicolas and has a lovely dinner at Casa Barrunta. White bean soup and a veal filet and a nice white wine. Delicious. I crashed shortly after coming home, trying to trudge my way through listening to 1984. It's not that it's a poorly written book, it just seems so preposterous at times that it's a little aggravating. It seems mostly like the rubbish the conspiracy theorists warble on about. I don't know. For it's time though I understand what a remarkable work it was/is.

We shifted some boxes from the garage so that the gypsies, who arrived early this morning to haul away scrap and junk, didn't tote away any of Paddy and Rebekah's belongings in the process. The arrived at 9am, just after I woke up, and had everything cleared out within an hour and a half. Una didn't much care for the man's wife, or woman helper as it were, that came along. She didn't do much about it though.

After that was over the three of us put on some "civilized" attire and went to a special mass that was being held today in honor of St. Isiodor (Ed. Note: I got this wrong... it's St. Isidro, who is completely different and has no relics in Leon). I didn't realize until yesterday that this saint, the one whose relics are supposedly guarded in Leon, was a man. Oops (Ed. Note: Also, I suppose this point could be contested still... perhaps St. Isiodor is a woman!). There were some French speaking pilgs at the mass who I communicated with about what was going on. It's always nice to speak some French. At some point I was having something in Spanish translated to me in English and then conveying it to them in French. Whoa. We went out to a field with the priest and the shrine to St. I. (Ed. Note: the correct "I." that is) and he blessed the fields. After the mass the townspeople converged in the Plaza Mayor with a table and fixings for a small gathering; crisps, pickles, olives, peppers, wine, sodas, juice, and cookies. A good time was had by all, and some pilgs that had stopped in the vicinity to have lunch joined us. I really like the people that live here.

Back home and out of our "fancy" clothes, we rustled an array of leftovers and deli goods out of the fridge to make a nice lunch which we just finished enjoying out in the sun. It's a remarkably beautiful day today, and it was nice to eat outdoors.

Alright, that's all for yesterday and today. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to go and how much it'll cost. Suggestions are welcome.

No comments: