Friday, May 18, 2007

It'll take a couple of vodka and tonics

I'm feeling an overwhelming urge to write, so I will. Lots going through my head these past few days, but I'm having difficulty sorting it all out and making sense. Sometimes I can feel a bit foggy, but then I'll just dismiss it all and go about doing something else. I think it's less me being dodgy-minded , but more that I'm still not adjusted to not having to worry about work or school constantly for once. It makes me a little antsy at times, which is most likely why I'm itching delightedly at the idea of going to Africa in September.


Yesterday Reb and I took a nice excursion to the North coast town of Oviedo to do a little shopping at IKEA. She wanted to get everything for the new kitchen, but instead we ended up doing some much more constructive planning and design with the Spanish based web site and Design Program. We got a number of other useful things as well then went for lunch at Pizza Movil, located in a monstrosity of a mall across the way from IKEA. Pizza'd up, we visited FNAC – a store I've not seen since my former French days – where we got a wireless router – which at present doesn't seem compatible with the Internet here, but somehow mysteriously worked for a while on it's own with no connection to speak of. Eroski, a large national Everything-you-could-ever-need and more store, was where we ended the day in Oviedo, leaving with some groceries, paint, new yard chairs, and a much needed Red Bull. On the way back home we stopped a couple times to check our “adventurous” back road way against the map, soak in the indescribably amazing mountain views – cows included – and to explore a knock-out abandoned church. We got home and had a brief dinner while using the mysterious connection.


So, now on to today. Woke up this morning feeling as though I could have used a couple more hours. I think because I went to bed later than usual last night and took a Benadryl before crashing, its effects were still dulling me quite a lot. I trudged into the bathroom, brushed my teeth – my mouth was stale, and tasted really foul, infested almost, no doubt by the dust that the workers knocked down into my room through a hole in the ceiling – and then go some coffee and bread for breakfast. I don't really recall what I did to much degree before lunch, though I did read a profile on Barack Obama in the latest edition of The New Yorker. It was a good source of information, and I feel stronger about him now as a presidential candidate. I even jotted down a paragraph that really jived with my personal views and thoughts. You know when you read something and think, “My god! What a perfect articulation to how I feel.” Yea, that's the way it seemed with this.


For lunch Reb made a lovely pulse from some veg and part of the chicken stock I made last night – a result of prepping tonight's curried chicken – and to go along with it Paddy made a tortilla espanola with the chicken eggs from the resident hens. It was a wonderful lunch which we took out in the courtyard in the warm afternoon sun. After eating Paddy and I began moving the furniture from the remaining spare bedroom – the one I'm in – to the garage. Everything but the bed I'm using. Tomorrow we're going to work on clearing out the salon. This is all in anticipation of the current remodeling finding its way to the point when the upstairs floors will need to come out, and work downstairs will commence.

I hope when I'm in Africa I can subscribe to The New Yorker. That would be delightful.


So far I have three or four places in/near Paris to stay temporarily. Indeed to do some more searching on CouchSurfing and hopefully I'll get a few more replies.

I finally got all my Camino pictures uploaded to our Walgreens account. And set up a special account for the other people I met along the way to use collectively. Hopefully we'll be able to easily share photos.


I'm going to put a picture of myself in this post if I can. Currently 119 kilo, which is roughly 261 lbs. My clothes are all far too baggy. The outfit I have on in these pictures was pretty snug when I got to Spain. Perhaps I'll get some new jeans for the rest of my trip – donations gladly welcomed and accepted. You can just make out part of my awesome tan lines below my t-shirt sleeves.


We just finished out curry chicken, and both Reb and Paddy raved about it. I really enjoy cooking for people. Perhaps – this'll make my mom crazy – if I can find the time while taking a break from saving the world, I'll enroll in culinary school. My attempts have at the very least secured an invitation to come by Moratinos any time and see if there's a spare bed.


Libby sent me an email inviting me to join a website called GoodReads. It's pretty spiffarific, a site where you can create an account and rate your favorite (or least favorite for that matter) books and share them with your friends and family. I've definitely got something to keep me occupied for at least an hour this evening.


Cheers.

No comments: