Monday, May 21, 2007

When it rains it pours, but thankfully not on my bed

So the past weekend has been interesting enough.

The night before last we were sent off to bed with the rolling booms and bright flashes of a thunder storm. Not much rain to speak of, but loud enough to scare the dog between the two beds where she could cower next to sleeping people.

Since the storms began though the Internet has mysteriously vanished, though last night it came back and hasn't left since. Very odd.

Anyhow, so yesterday was fair enough, and then it started to rain. Just lightly at first, nothing really to worry about. Checking the house there didn't seem to be any problems, and the rain doesn't seem to be bearing down any harder. Well, as weather goes, precisely what you don't want to happen is often what comes to be. It did start raining harder, and then we started to notice water spots on the ceiling in the salon, the room across the hall from mine. The the dripping began when it started raining harder. Water dripping, and eventually beginning to pour as the puddles upstairs accumulated. Various buckets and pans and containers are now arranged around the salon to catch the falling water, though much of it hit the floor by time we'd realized the dripping had gotten out of hand.

Later I would realize that water spots were starting to form on my ceiling as well. Thankfully there was no dripping.

We had dinner last night, and were sitting around talking, and decide to go in and check the progress of the rain, add more buckets to catch water in the salon, and found that water had been seeping through the light fixture and along the ceiling of my room, resulting in a shorted out chandelier. Turning it on now blows the electricity in the whole house, so I resorted to only using my flashlight. Still, no water dripping near my bed, though I moved it around just for the sake of being safe rather than sorry, in addition to gathering up my belongings and putting them in a safe place.

The leaking ceilings and weather have dampened, no pun intended, everyone's mood to a certain extent I think, though we're resolved to remain cheery. Rebekah, who at one point was flooded by bad childhood memories of living near a levy and experiencing similar, though I'm sure far worse, living conditions, became temporarily overwhelmed by it all.

We opened one, two, three, bottles of wine and enjoyed a nice lentil salad for dinner. For most of the evening we sat around snacking on chips and talking about varied subjects from food to furniture destroyed by drunken friends, wildly entertaining accounts from Paddy's days in London, and how we all make a difference to someone at some point in our lives, be it good or bad. It was a splendid evening, and I don't think I could have enjoyed it more.

Today the sun seems to be coming back out, despite the paper's forecast for thunderstorms over the next three days. Rebekah and I went into Sahagun to get some groceries and run a couple errands, then back home Paddy had made a delicious lunch of bangers and mash with peas. Tonight we're making liver for dinner, and I've started a corn/black bean salsa that we'll save for tomorrow. I've really been Jonesing for Mexican food. Which leads me to comment on the coincidence that one of Rebekah's friends State-side sent a care package filled with Mexican spices and the like. The coincidence was more so that this friend is named Eric and the package arrived on St. Eric's day.

I'm leaving for Paris next week, and am going to be traveling by train through France, Italy, and Greece. If anyone has any suggested "must-sees" be sure to let me know.

No comments: