Friday, March 30, 2007

The Great Day of Cleaning

So as I suspected, today was deemed the Great Day of Cleaning. I spent most of my day around the house sweeping, mopping, wiping, and arranging things so that everything was clean and in order for Paddy and Rebekah's return. I got up at around 9:30, had some coffee and then took the dog out for a short walk.


Coming home I started in the kitchen and the bathroom, and by lunch time had finished the latter though arranging the shelves, and cleaning under things took longer in the kitchen. Sebastien came over from working at The Alamo and we had some fish, peas, and microwaved potatoes for lunch. After eating we watched the other movie that James brought over for us to borrow – Three Kings. Also, another movie that was better than I expected it to be.


After Sebastien left again I resumed cleaning the kitchen, finished, and then hung some laundry and started working on sweeping the courtyard and cleaning up the entry way. The wind was gusting down into the courtyard so it took a while to get all the dirt which kept blowing away as soon as I'd swept it into piles. I ended up just wetting most of it down and sweeping it over to the drain though, so that worked. Then, of all things, it rained. I was a little peeved.


I took Una out for another walk, for her sake and my own, and the people that own sheep down the street have finally let them out. She was very excited to come across a great group of animals that she could easily startle. We went toward San Nicolas, and she ran a muck in the hare field.


After coming home I swept and mopped the inside hall and stairs, then tidied up the disaster of a workshop at the back of the house. I've listened to a great deal of Cell while working today, and I have to say in light of Stephen King's more recent crap work, this story is fairly okay. It's kind of reminiscent of The Tommyknockers, though that really scared me. This story is just more so amusing.


After dinner of a decent–and rather spicy–putanesca, Sebastien and I rode the bikes to San Nicolas to have a drink at Barrunta. We had a good night, and made it home safe, getting a ride from Raoul the bartender at Barrunta. We played a skewed game of Quarters with a Euro, and though our money may be worth less I can attest that it certainly bounces much better!


Before coming home I remembered that we'd left the leftover spaghetti and sauce on the counter in dishes, and worried that Una would have gotten at them and broken them. She's really mischievous when it comes to food being left out. We came home to find the spaghetti untouched, but the bowl of sauce significantly decreased, the green olives in it completely cleaned off. I guess Una doesn't like olives. Thankfully she hadn't broken anything, though I'm guessing that I made it increasingly easy for her, having moved one of the chairs in front of the counter so we could watch the movie earlier. Sneaky dog.


Now I'm ready to crawl into bed and sleep for a while.


No comments: