Saturday, March 10, 2007

Pallella turned soup, reading, and a pleasant evening walk

Today it was just Paddy and me here at the house. Shortly after I got up we went out to the yard and finished shoveling the dirt and rubble into the adjacent runoff. After finishing we hosed everything down and sprayed the dust off the car. Coming in I hung a couple shirts I had washed on the line along with one of my hooded sweatshirts. It was a bright and warm day, and we spent it mostly reading and talking out in the courtyard, soaking up the wonderful sunlight.

Paddy had taken the leftover pallella from the other night and turned it into a nice seafood gumbo, mixing it with a packet of lobster soup. It turned out very well, except having no bread we had some tortilla chips with it instead. I'm still reading Capote, which is about 540 pages – I'm nearly finished with it after the time I spent reading today. I've got about 140 pages left. It's a really detailed account of Truman Capote's life – the movie they made just focused on the period of time Capote spent writing In Cold Blood.

After lunch Paddy went to take a nap and eventually took a short nap myself, listening to a few chapters of In Cold Blood. I hate falling asleep when I'm listening to a book, because then I have to try and figure out which tracks I slept through. I only ended up missing a few, so I must not have fallen asleep for very long. I got up and asked Paddy to borrow his phone (my SIM card works in it) so I could call my mom and grandparents. I talked with them for a bit, and tried calling my sister too – her boyfriend answered and I think I perturbed him a little by my shortness, and not really taking time to talk to him. Just hearing his voice aggravated me – though I guess after talking to my mom Joey (my nephew) is doing alright, and they got my post card.

Anyhow, after making my calls Paddy and I took Una out for a walk, and ended up going further than we'd anticipated, walking along the Camino for a while and then down a crossing road which meets up with another dirt road that heads back into Moratinos, basically making a triangle from town. I took some really good pictures of the changing colors in the sky, and it was such a clear afternoon that you could see the mountains off in the distance very clearly.

After we got back home, Paddy finished up our dinner, spaghetti Bolognese, the sauce for which he'd be cooking for most of the day. It was really nice, and certainly filling. After dinner we listened to some good music and read some more before Paddy headed to bed. Now I'm just about ready to head to bed myself, listening to my book for a few minutes more.

Not a very busy day today, so here is a poem that I “wrote” with the refrigerator magnet poetry:
I present my moist corduroy breathold young men rob foolish hearts
stiff breezes wear bones soft
remember throbbing rhythm & blush
always listen ferociously but speak not
concrete prisoners squirm with dazzling eyeslive for yesterday & linger today in my blue embrace

No comments: