Monday, March 12, 2007

Mopping and making the death chamber not so deadly

So I woke up today at around 9 A.M. Sebastien, to my surprise, was still sleeping, but grumbling – Una was barking. I got up and went to the kitchen, had some coffee and a few pieces of bread and some strawberry jam. Paddy was out, presumably taking the dog for a walk.

He got back, and I guess a pilgrim from Argentina – there seem to be a lot of them – had come by. The two Hungarians from last night had already left. Paddy and I talked about what we should do today and decided we should mop the kitchen floor, and take care of the nails in the Danger Room upstairs (where there are nails jutting out of the rafters, which are very low and a hazard to someone my height!). He had to go into Sahagun to run some errands, so I offered to take care of the other two jobs while he was out. Gave him my letter to mail and some money to get me some stamps for the US.

I cleared the kitchen out, swept, and then mopped the floor down. Took the area rug out and hung it on the line, and then in a sudden rage beat it clean with the broom – I wasn't really upset about anything, but it felt good in a way. Rearranged the kitchen and then went about scrubbing the mud off my sneakers, put on some clothes, and took a hammer upstairs to do some more pounding. I tacked in or bent up all the nails that were sticking out so now it's relatively safe to run about that room, though I still wouldn't go rubbing my scalp against the rafters!

Paddy came home with bread, my stamps, and a lot less hair – he'd gotten a much-needed hair cut while in town. We sat outside in the sun and he read El Pais while I read The New Yorker which came in the mail today. There was a really fantastic piece entitled “The Way We Are: Of wildflowers and weed,” by David Sedaris, which made me laugh a lot. I haven't read any of his stories in a long time, so it was good reading. I finished that and then started to make some hemp jewelry. I have a ton of glass and stone beads, so I figure I might try to the stuff I make while traveling around. Paddy went to take a nap, and I made some impromptu cabbage, carrot, and onion soup for lunch. Sebastien came back and we ate soup and chatted a bit. Even after his weekend walk I think he's still stressed about working over at The Alamo.

I spent most of the afternoon reading Capote, which I am about 100 pages away from finishing. Paddy also had me read a story by S. J. Perelman, which initially I didn't find as amusing as I guess he had intended me to. I was kind of thrown off by it, making a change mid sentence from my biography to something nonsensical. I'll have to read some more of it later – he was/is purportedly one of The New Yorker's best humorists.

Sebastien got back from waiting around for the diggers, and made us a dinner of boiled red cabbage, mashed potatoes, and bacon. Certainly an Irish meal my any standards, but he said it was pretty typical Belgian food as well. We finished dinner, I did the washing up, and now we're just hanging out here listening to Jewel. I'm probably going to head to bed in a bit, but might try to finish up my book beforehand. Nonetheless, adieu.

1 comment:

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

Ryan, thanks for the detailed and lively accounts of day to day living in Moratinos. It really is helping me deal with the shock of American life.