Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Grumpy for some reason

Not really sure what's up with me today, but I'm not in a very good mood. Haven't been grumpy all day, but since lunch or so I've not really wanted to be around anyone. So I'm sitting here on my bed ripping CDs an listening to The Two Towers. I finished the Capote biography last night – it was a good book overall... not bad, not fantastic, just as Paddy'd said. I did enjoy it though and would recommend it freely.

We went into town earlier today to do some shopping and whatnot. I went over to Cafe Zentral while Paddy went to the grocery store, Luna, and James was there. For some reason there was only one computer up and running. I think it was more a matter of the guy watching the bar not sure how to activate them. But no problem. At least it was James and not some kid playing a video game as I've often seen there. So I sat for a while and talked with him about the door and windows he wants to put in his new wall, and also explained to him how rebar worked – me of all people. These little things I've stored away, seemingly useless information proving itself important.

So Paddy came and joined us, and we took turns on the computer. I checked my email and got some information about growing corn and onions in the garden patch that Paddy wants to plant in at the house. A neighbor has tilled up an area behind the house a couple of times, and there is sweet corn to be planted. I'm concerned that the soil might be too heavy with clay, but we're going to do some test planting and see if it works.

James and I talked about what they were doing over at The Alamo, and he asked me to come over tomorrow and do some sanding on posts they're going to use to create a pagoda behind their new wall... which I'll believe when I see! Also he'd mentioned something about me taking refreshments down the Camino headed toward the “ghost town,” setting up and selling them to pilgrims that happen by. I'm really not sure how kosher that idea is, and probably won't take him up on the offer, regardless of the potential profit.

Jeremy emailed me about buying a cell phone here. The cheapest one is €60. There's one here that used to be Paddy's mobile that he doesn't use anymore, and he said I was welcome to have it. It's a VodaFone phone, but for some reason it says only SOS calls can be made when I put the SIM in it. So I'll email Jeremy again and see what he has to say about that. If I can avoid buying a new phone that would really be great. I got a copy of my passport today too while in town so I could send the “rebate” in for my VF SIM card – after they process my information they'll add another €12 to my account. A gimmick if there ever was one. I'm sure they pocket so much money because so few people actually send the card back in. I popped it in the mail this afternoon after getting home along with a letter I wrote to Lindsay and Danielle.

After we got back we had a mixed lunch of leftovers from last night and I reincarnated the soup I'd made for lunch yesterday – there was about a bowl of it left so I added more water, another bouillon cube, more carrots, curry, and couscous. It ended up being like a stew almost. Quite tasty.

After lunch Paddy took a nap and I puttered around the house. After he got up I helped put together a small fire pit in the courtyard, and then cut some wood up so we could start a fire, the plan being to grill sardines for dinner. I made a nice spinach salad with balsamic vinegar, pears, and some feta. Everything tasted pretty good, and I had some more practice at de-boning sardines. Paddy did jokingly remark though, “The most awful thing in the world: watching Ryan try to eat sardines.”

So I've been “hiding” in my room successfully since dinner, and I'm feeling a bit better. I think I just needed some quiet time by myself. I've been having strange dreams about people I've not seen in years lately. I don't know what they're all about. Interesting at the very least. We'll see what tonight's slumber brings. Good night.

No comments: