Saturday, March 31, 2007

Paddy and Rebekah come home

I slept in today because I didn't feel so hot this morning when I initially woke up, the effect of inhaling lots of smoke in the bar last night–and no I didn't have a hangover, especially not from two beers. I was basically congested and phlegmy, but I felt better by eleven or so. Got up, had some coffee and a chunk of bread. Sebastien had left for Sahagun just after 10, going into town to call his daughter.


I took Una out for a walk, suspecting that after that huge bowl of spicy pasta sauce last night she was probably going to have crazy indigestion. She seemed alright though. I guess living on the streets of Pittsburgh and eating all those mice really toughen a stomach up!


We came home and I took a shower and shaved, then proceeded to give the dog a good scrubbing so she'd be clean when her people returned later. I read some more Henry Miller, and listened to Cell for a bit. In the yard there were some large pieces of asbestos that had been on the roof before the builders fixed the walls. Being that they didn't clean up anything once they were through, I went out and dragged them all into the garage in back for the gypsy to come and confiscate. Bad stuff to keep around anyhow!


Went around the house sweeping here and there, cleaning up bits of dirt and dust that had settled on the ground since yesterday. Then I had a small lunch of cheese and some anchovies on bread, then curled up for a nap. I slept for about an hour, and after I got back up finished listening to Cell. The ending was alright.


Paddy and Rebekah got home from the train station just before 7:00pm, and we caught up for a half hour or so, then walked around the house and over to The Alamo so Rebekah could see the progress that's been made. Once back we had a simple supper of bread and a pulse that Rebekah made with some veggies and peas soup base. It was very good. By time we were all ready to call it a night, Sebastien had still not returned from earlier. Not sure where he could be, but if I had to guess I'd say he's probably at a bar somewhere.


Before coming in for bed, Rebekah read an excerpt from the journal she and Paddy share to me. This was in reference to the night Paddy, Sebastien, James and I were at The Alamo, and they had cooked the meat on the chicken wire–the Earth seasoned steaks:


“The sight of the four of us around the fire seated on upturned buckets and bricks was redolent of a gang of homeless alcoholic derelicts on an East End bomb sight ... Rock bottom in a way, but not seriously.”


Anyhow, I'm going to bed. I'm going to start listening to The Vampire Lestat tonight. A book I've read before, but still a very good story, and the audio version is read by one of my favorite readers, Frank Muller.


Good night!


No comments: