Thursday, March 29, 2007

If I ask for a half kilo of ground beef, that's exactly what I want

So today I made the decision that when I enter a Spanish-speaking situation I'm going to provide scripts to those I'm interacting with so that they know what to say. Back to that when I get there.


Got up this morning just after 9 and took Una our for a walk after stopping by The Alamo to see how things are going. James had spray painted “If you can build we need your help.” in English and a Spanish translation across the arch mold. When the dog and I came back the mayor had showed up and there was a reporter there from one of the local papers as well, gathering information for a story on Moratinos.


I headed back home with the dog and took a shower then read Miller for a bit. Hannah sent me a text message saying that a trip to Europe for her may be more of a possibility than she'd anticipated, having come into some unexpected funds. It'll be nice to see her, and I think she'll really like Europe, regardless of where we end up.


Sebastien came home at around two and we ate a frozen pizza that we had for lunch. After eating we set up my laptop and watched The Italian Job, which was a much better movie than I'd though it might be originally. Not as good as Ocean's 11, but the same premise. He headed back to work after the movie was over, and I went over to The Alamo as well to see if Marianne could take me into Sahagun to pick up some groceries.


She was more than willing, so we took their car and the children into town. First we stopped and Marianne bought an orchid from a local plant shop to give to Julia as a gift for being such a help. I went to Dia, which reminded me a lot of Aldis in the States, and got most of what we needed, but wasn't bale to get any ground meat. So we drove over to Lupa and luckily their counter was still open. I'd planned what I needed to ask for when I got to the counter, but the lady helping me asked me something I didn't understand instead of just giving me what I wanted. It turns out she was inquiring as to whether I wanted patties or just the beef. I had said clearly ground meat, and pointed at it, but instead she has to go and complicate things. Hm. So that's why I'm going to start handing out scripts, ha ha.


We headed back to Moratinos, I put away the groceries, and then went back to The Alamo to help Marianne walk around the property and measure all the walls so that they could take the measurements to an architect. It seems while they were on their siesta, James and Marianne ran into the man from San Nicolas who owns an albergue there, and he more or less told them that he was going to do everything in his power to keep them from opening. So not a huge deal, but just earlier the mayor had mentioned that his term is nearly over, and the same man from San Nicolas is running for the position unopposed. So that could pose a problem for James and Marianne.


James gave me a copy of Google SketchUp, which is a neat drawing program that lets you create 3-d models from 2-d shapes. Very nifty and I played around with it for a bit after coming home before making dinner. We had impromptu tacos with the meat I'd purchased at Lupa. Sebastien restrained himself at first, but then after two tacos slathered the rest of his with mayonnaise. Ick. After dinner we set up the laptop again and watched Gods and Monsters.


Now it's time to get to sleep – I'm finished with The Silence of the Lambs and starting Stephen King's Cell tonight. Tomorrow I need to clean around the house before Rebekah and Paddy come home.


No comments: