Friday, March 2, 2007

Unpacking the Salon and More Peregrinos

Well, I just returned from another fantastic dinner cooked by our local friend James. Five more pilgrims showed up this afternoon and all decided to stay in Moratinos for the evening, so James graciously cooked us dinner and we had a rockin' time in his yurt (not sure if that's how it's spelled – it is a large round tent from Mongolia. The pilgrims consisted of three Germans, Hanna, Stephanie, and Helge, an Argentinian, Adrien, and a Spaniard, Anselmo. James cooked us some potatoes and a really great chicken dish cooked with onions, herbs, and white wine. Muy excellente! James is a really excellent cook. We also had a good amount of beer and wine, some of which Rebekah provided after Sebastien offered a small “donation” of 20 Euro – and rightly so! It seems everyone alone the Camino is very giving, but you have to be careful and not let others take advantage of your generosity.


So before all this began, my day was rather uneventful, but nonetheless invigorating. Just after I woke up Paddy and I took Una out for a walk along the Camino toward Shagun. We walked to San Nicolas, and I took some pictures of the Brick People there for Rebekah. At some point someone hauled a bunch of debris – metal, stones, bricks, etc. – to a point along the path, presumably after doing some construction. It turns out that not long after people started sculpting impromptu figures out of the materials there, and since then the figures have continued to evolve, bing moved, broken down, and rebuilt by pilgrims or anyone who happens to pass by and wants to exercise a little creativity. Reb wanted some good pictures of them to put in the issue of American Pilgrim that she is guest editing this month back in the States. I think before she leaves on Monday we'll go back and play around a bit and get some really good shots.


After we returned, I helped Rebekah out in the salon, unpacking and moving boxes and other things that arrived last week in the shipment from the US. They've got tons of books that I'd love to sit down and dig into sometime while I'm here. Better yet, Reb's mom packed almost an entire box with Kraft Mac & Cheese and four huge containers of Jiff extra crunchy peanut butter. When she opened the box up she was so excited. Also, in unpacking things with her there were a number of things that triggered memories long past from when we all still lived in Perrysburg. It really struck me as a little odd yet at the same time wonderful to recall points where our so-called life paths had crossed and formed a memory. I don't know.


After lunch I took a siesta, and then I ended up over at The Alamo with James, Sebastien, and the five new pilgs, and now I'm plopped here in the kitchen with the dog sleeping in the other chair tapping away at my little keyboard. That's enough for now I think. Adieu

No comments: